The Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is the oldest and most highly-recognized certification in Information Security. It is an independent, vendor neutral certification governed by the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2. Every business is susceptible to security threats. A CISSP certification means that you have the knowledge, backing and support to fight them head-on.
Positions that require a CISSP certification tend to pay very well. Depending on where you live, CISSP certification holders typically make six-figure salaries. Outside of the salary, there is no shortage of available information security job positions in the US. There are over 100,000 CISSP certified professionals worldwide.
The CISSP is approved by the US DoD in both Information Assurance Managerial (IAM) and Information Assurance Technical (IAT), and is the baseline for the US National Security Agency program.
Whether or not you are ready for the CISSP certification will depend on a couple of things.
- This is not an entry-level certification. In order to obtain your CISSP you must demonstrate that you possess at least 5 years of paid work experience in Information Security, in at least 2 of the 8 domains of the (ISC)2 Common Body of Knowledge (CBK).
- You must obtain an endorsement from an active credential holder with (ISC)2 within 9 months of passing the exam. Failure to do so will invalidate your successful exam status and you will have to re-take the exam.
- If you do not have the required experience and/or endorsement, you may still prepare for the CISSP and receive an Associate of (ISC)2 credential until the time that you meet the requirements (up to 6 years), by selecting Associate of (ISC)2 when registering for your exam.
If you have the required experience and someone lined up to endorse you, your next step would be to attend Systems Atlanta’s CISSP Training Course, led by instructor John Hackmeyer, to prepare to take the certification exam. Would you like a preview on why Systems Atlanta’s CISSP training program is right for you? Attend our webinar on May 8, 2019, at 12 Noon EDT to gain valuable insight. To register, click the following link to complete a registration form.
Earning your CISSP certification will help ensure that you are on every recruiter’s radar. You will earn more than your counter-parts that do not hold the certification. If you are looking to take your Information Security career to a higher level, you SHOULD get your CISSP certification.
If you are looking to transition into a career in Information Security, it is important to understand exactly what Cybersecurity is. Cybersecurity is the practice of protecting networks, programs, and systems from digital attacks. Digital attacks are targeted at accessing, changing or destroying sensitive information, defrauding users, or interrupting business processes. With today’s reliance on digital transactions, security vulnerabilities have become a major issue causing business disruptions.
Security experts are high in demand in the IT world. You will find job openings for Cyber Security Analyst, Penetration Testers, Ethical Hackers, and more on many job boards. The CompTIA Security+ certification is a popular credential among security experts. CompTIA Security + is a globally recognized certification that many professionals starting out in the information security field pursue for the reasons below:
- No Pre-Requisites: Security + does not have any requirements regarding mandatory pre-requisites or experience. CompTIA does recommend that candidates have approximately two years’ work experience in the networking and security fields to increase the likelihood of being hired faster and passing the certification.
- In Demand: Both Public and Private sector organizations seek Security + certified professionals to handle network administration and security tasks. Some of the services in demand include Cryptography, Threats and Vulnerabilities, Access Control and Identity Management.
- Vendor Neutral: You are not required to focus on technology and security of a specific vendor, and can instead focus on general cybersecurity. You gain a broad knowledge and skillset by completing your CompTIA certification. Network Administrators and Security Consultants are more in demand and marketable, providing more options when looking for opportunities.
- Internationally Recognized: CompTIA Security + certification is recognized internationally in over 147 countries all over the world. If you would like to move somewhere new, chances are you will be able to find work wherever you go.
- Approved for Government Work: Since Security + meets the standards for DoD 8570, which is a compliance standard used for citing requirements for contractors and government employees at different work levels within the IT field, it is useful for both Management Level-1 and Technical Level-2 positions within the government.
- Higher Earnings: A CompTIA Security + certified professional can expect to earn within a range of $40,000-$95,000. Work experience will factor in, and with around 5 years of experience, average earnings are around $65,000.
- Job Security: With training in cybersecurity, IT professionals are crucial assets to their companies. The role of cybersecurity teams is imperative and will remain relevant for many years to come.
- Validates Your Knowledge: Earning Security + certification validates that you completely understand the fundamentals of hardware, networks, and network security.
- Continuous Learning: CompTIA requires that your Security + certification be renewed every three years. This requirement provides a regular opportunity to maintain and enhance your knowledge base to stay up to date with changes and trends in the industry.
- Earn CEU’s: One fact many are not aware of is that earning your Security+ counts as a year towards your five-year experience requirement for the CISSP certification.
- Quality Training: One benefit of obtaining your Security + training is the ability to find quality training to help you achieve your goal. System’s Atlanta’s Security + training includes 5 days of instructor led training delivered by one of the most sought-after instructors, John Hackmeyer and his proprietary Conceptual Linking methodology. Systems Atlanta is a CompTIA Gold Partner, as well as a Pearson VUE test center. The certification exam will be delivered at the completion of the training. Mention Promo Code “GETTRAINED” if you register by April 30th to receive a 10% discount off of your enrollment.
In today’s world, you need every advantage you can get to stand out in the business competition. Though receiving a college education is crucial in securing jobs in your field, a degree is not always the end of your training. Participating in professional training at Systems Atlanta in Cobb County, GA, is a great way to refine your skills to acquire the job or promotion of your dreams.
The Benefits of Professional Training and Certification
Better Earning Potential: The more education and training you have under your belt, the more likely it is for your pay to increase based on your skills and performance. Not only does this training increase your knowledge, but it makes you more valuable to your company.
Increased Job Opportunities: In the cutthroat competitive world of business, having an educational advantage can be the deciding factor when being considered for a promotion. Having the necessary training and certificates on your resume helps you stand out amongst the other applicants.
Better Mobility Opportunities: If you are unhappy with your current company or position, receiving additional education can help give you leverage when job searching. Your training will allow you to market yourself to other companies or positions that are not necessarily in your immediate field.
Increased Morale: Receiving additional training will help you perform better and accomplish more. Increased productivity in your job will improve your morale, helping you have a positive outlook towards your career, co-workers, and company.
For more information on professional training services, contact Systems Atlanta today at (770) 928-0240. Our team offers a variety of certifications and courses suitable for many specialized industries.