If you are looking to transition into a career in Information Security, it is important to understand exactly what Cybersecurity is. Cybersecurity is the practice of protecting networks, programs, and systems from digital attacks. Digital attacks are targeted at accessing, changing or destroying sensitive information, defrauding users, or interrupting business processes. With today’s reliance on digital transactions, security vulnerabilities have become a major issue causing business disruptions.
Security experts are high in demand in the IT world. You will find job openings for Cyber Security Analyst, Penetration Testers, Ethical Hackers, and more on many job boards. The CompTIA Security+ certification is a popular credential among security experts. CompTIA Security + is a globally recognized certification that many professionals starting out in the information security field pursue for the reasons below:
- No Pre-Requisites: Security + does not have any requirements regarding mandatory pre-requisites or experience. CompTIA does recommend that candidates have approximately two years’ work experience in the networking and security fields to increase the likelihood of being hired faster and passing the certification.
- In Demand: Both Public and Private sector organizations seek Security + certified professionals to handle network administration and security tasks. Some of the services in demand include Cryptography, Threats and Vulnerabilities, Access Control and Identity Management.
- Vendor Neutral: You are not required to focus on technology and security of a specific vendor, and can instead focus on general cybersecurity. You gain a broad knowledge and skillset by completing your CompTIA certification. Network Administrators and Security Consultants are more in demand and marketable, providing more options when looking for opportunities.
- Internationally Recognized: CompTIA Security + certification is recognized internationally in over 147 countries all over the world. If you would like to move somewhere new, chances are you will be able to find work wherever you go.
- Approved for Government Work: Since Security + meets the standards for DoD 8570, which is a compliance standard used for citing requirements for contractors and government employees at different work levels within the IT field, it is useful for both Management Level-1 and Technical Level-2 positions within the government.
- Higher Earnings: A CompTIA Security + certified professional can expect to earn within a range of $40,000-$95,000. Work experience will factor in, and with around 5 years of experience, average earnings are around $65,000.
- Job Security: With training in cybersecurity, IT professionals are crucial assets to their companies. The role of cybersecurity teams is imperative and will remain relevant for many years to come.
- Validates Your Knowledge: Earning Security + certification validates that you completely understand the fundamentals of hardware, networks, and network security.
- Continuous Learning: CompTIA requires that your Security + certification be renewed every three years. This requirement provides a regular opportunity to maintain and enhance your knowledge base to stay up to date with changes and trends in the industry.
- Earn CEU’s: One fact many are not aware of is that earning your Security+ counts as a year towards your five-year experience requirement for the CISSP certification.
- Quality Training: One benefit of obtaining your Security + training is the ability to find quality training to help you achieve your goal. System’s Atlanta’s Security + training includes 5 days of instructor led training delivered by one of the most sought-after instructors, John Hackmeyer and his proprietary Conceptual Linking methodology. Systems Atlanta is a CompTIA Gold Partner, as well as a Pearson VUE test center. The certification exam will be delivered at the completion of the training. Mention Promo Code “GETTRAINED” if you register by April 30th to receive a 10% discount off of your enrollment.